I had a wonderful holiday weekend. A busy and fun mix of farmer’s market, beer tent, swimming, family, friends, food, parades, tons of fireworks and even a 5k race. LOTS of fruits and veggies and a LITTLE barbecue and dessert, just as I had hoped. (I didn’t even eat any parade candy this year!)
How did your holiday weekend go?
A holiday weekend does not have to throw you off your plan, the following options may help you keep your detour to a minimum:
- Eat before you head out to any barbecue, party or other celebration. If you fill up on healthier options before you go, you’ll be less tempted by treats you run into.
- Use a small plate, our eyes are generally bigger than our stomachs, fill your small plate and satisfy both.
- If you are hosting your own event, there are many ways you can cut some of the fat and calories from your favorite dishes. I have added a few links below or check for recipes online.
- Have fruit for dessert, keep the sweet without the guilt.
- Bring chewing gum, we often eat because the people around us are eating, fill up and then try some gum instead.
- Drink lots of water, we often confuse hunger with thirst. Also, it can help you to reduce the number of high calorie or alcoholic drinks you have.
And, don’t forget to get some exercise… Play outside with the kids, go for a walk, hit the gym (and enjoy having the place to yourself), go swimming, go for a bike ride…